Homemade Croutons: the perfect pairing from soup to salad. I’ve always said if I could eat one thing for the rest of my life it would have to be salad (and pizza of course!) I turned into a salad junkie young thanks to Monday nights at my grandmother’s house. She would place a huge bowl of lettuce with tiny bowls filled with any and every topping you could imagine. One ingredient that always made it to my plate were croutons. Now whenever making a huge salad, homemade croutons are a must. They elevate any salad (try them in tomato basil soup too) to a new level.
- French Bread
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grab your french bread and cut into slices. Then cut slices into cubes.
- Drizzle Olive oil, salt, pepper, and italian seasonings on bread and mix.
- Spread bread onto a baking pan and bake until golden brown.
- French bread consistency may be different. The french bread that I used from a local bakery only took about 6 minutes to bake, but other breads may differ. Just watch croutons until turning golden brown (shouldn’t be more than 10 minutes.)