Being from Sicily, my grandpaw has tons of recipes kept not only in his head but also his heart. Getting together and sharing recipes always seems to capture lots of laughs, good eats and memories to share for a life time. Although there are tons of variations of sicilian pizza, this is the pizza my grandfather grew up on. Since my grandfather has his secret Sicilian Pizza Dough recipe tucked away, here is a delicious recipe that I’ve used before.
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 can sardines
- 1 onion
- Italian sausage
- Italian herbs
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven 450
- After making your dough…put tomatoes in food processor. After processing tomatoes, set sauce aside.
- Grab a pizza pan. Sicilian pizzas are usually rectangular shape. Or as my grandfather would say “It’s sicilian. It’s not supposed to look perfect.” We stuck with a round shaped pan instead. Oil pan with Olive Oil and spread dough onto pan.
- Lightly drizzle Olive Oil on dough.
- After adding Olive Oil, top dough with sardines and Italian sausage.
- Add onions and Italian herbs (Since I love onions, I added a ton!)
- Top with tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
- Put in oven for 450 for about 15 minutes, or until done.