Ah, March means many thing…warmer days, crawfish season, spring cleaning, and artichoke season. If you are an artichoke lover, try this recipe. It is perfect to bring to a party or just to have at home to snack all day on.
What you’ll need: ( 5 Stuffed Artichokes)
1 Bell Pepper
2 Celery Stalks
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese, plus some
1 8 oz can of Artichokes
2 cups of Italian Breadcrumbs, plus some
Italian seasonings (to taste)
3/4 cup of lemon juice
1 /4 cup Olive Oil, plus some
2 Teaspoons Garlic
1. Roughly chop Onions, Bell Pepper, Celery, and canned Artichokes so that they will fit in a food processor.
2. In a food processor, puree all vegetables and place into a large bowl.
3. Mix the garlic, black pepper, olive oil, breadcrumbs, Italian seasonings, and cheeses with the rest of the vegetables.
4. Combine all ingredients and let refrigerate.
5. Time to cut the artichokes. Simply cut the stem of the artichokes off so that they sit flat.
6.Next, lay artichoke on the its side and cut off the first inch of the artichoke top. Then with kitchen scissors, cut the prickly leaf tips off.
6. Place artichokes in a lage pot filled with water and place on stove with a high tempt. Wait for water to come to a boil then turn temperature off. This step allows artichokes to loosen up so they will be easier to stuff.
7. Take artichokes out and place into a cold water ice bath to stop the cooking.
8. Dry off artichokes and carefully open wiggle the artichokes leaves so it will be easier to stuff.
9. Stuff artichokes by starting from the outside. Place about a tablespoon of stuffing on each artichoke leaf, until entire artichoke is stuffed. Add any extra stuffing on top on artichoke and push stuffing down into artichoke so they become more compact.
10. Fill a crockpot with an inch of water and carefully place stuffed artichokes in crock pot.
11. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and extra bread crumbs on top of artichokes.
12. Top with a slice of lemon and drizzle olive oil over artichokes.
Let stuffed artichokes cook in crockpot on high overnight and take out when golden brown.
(tip: As water evaporates in crockpot , add an inch of water to allow artichokes to cook properly.)